Friday, October 14, 2011

Napster Looses Another Customer

A few years ago, for Christmas, my daughters got MP3 players as a gift.  I bought a subscription to Napster so they could play and download songs.  I still have a subscription today, but that is about to change.

See.  There is something very odd about the way you purchase music on Napster.  There is something about the process that makes you want to click on the song purchase link again (and again).  A browser delay combined with bad site design means that even on the same transaction, a song may be charged multiple times!

How do I know it's bad site design?  Well,a major clue is in their FAQ, which lists this little nugget:
Multiple Same Song Downloads and Use of Song Credits
Do multiple downloads of the same song count against my song credit total?

Yes. Each song purchased with your song credits will count against your credit balance.

Please note that when music is purchased from Napster, royalties are paid our immediately and cannot be recovered in the event that a purchased was made by mistake. Purchased music cannot be returned.
The fact that they even have to post this absurd notice on their site confirms that they have a problem, and that they're not willing to fix it.  Here's an idea, Napster.  Post this notice on your FAQ.  And then fix the problem!
Multiple Same Song Downloads and Use of Song Credits
Do multiple downloads of the same song count against my song credit total?

Yes, there is currently a problem with our purchasing process that forces charges for duplicate song purchases.  We are currently working to correct this issue.  In the mean time, please feel free to contact our support department when this happens.  We don't want you to be charged for music you already have.  Thus, we will gladly refund the cost of each duplicate purchase.
So, ignoring their rediculous statement on their FAQ, I called their support number to get the duplicate charges reversed.  I've had to do this in the past, and they have always - grudgingly - reversed the charges; pointing out their policy every time.  And every time I tell them the same thing.
Your process of buying music is not very efficient.  As a user, it's very easy to question whether a purchase was made, so sometimes we click the link again.  You know, it's very easy to check the current purchase for duplicate songs.  For that matter, it's very easy to check my entire purchase history every time I make a new purchase.  If you notice a song being purchased that you know I've bought before, the least you should do is inform me of the situation and ask if I'd still like to buy the music!  Use a little Common Sense!  If I have the song already, why would I want to buy another copy?  Sure, I may have lost it, but you could at least ask!  (Sometimes I get a little snarky) If your developers can't handle it I'd be happy to do it for you.  I'm a professional software developer myself.
Of course this falls on deaf ears, because nothing ever changes.  They always reverse the charges and everything is cool.  Until this morning.  This time they refused to reverse the charges, stating their policy and the notice on their web site.

I don't know why I've put up with them for so long.  Probably because every time I got them to reverse their charges it was a confirmation by them that they had a crappy process.  So now they won't fix the BS software and they're keeping my money!

It's time to end this relationship!  If you have an account with Napster, please end it today!  And tell them why.  In the mean time, I'm in the market for another music service.  Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment